FluoroSHIELD F100 is a fluoropolymer coating dissolved in a non-flammable fluorinated solvent with a UV tracer added to aid inspection. Designed for protection of high quality products like of printed circuit boards (PCBs), the FluoroSHIELD F100 will protect a board and the electronic components from moisture and corrosion.
- Highly repellent to liquid and oil
- Dries extremely quickly at room temperature
- Possible to have no masking requirements for components
- Wide Temperature Range
- High Dielectric Strength Material
- Easily Inspected with the UV trace
- RoHS-2 compliant (2011/65/EU)
- Coating does not contain > 0.10% of any candidate substances of very high concern (SVHC) per Article 59(10) or REACH Regulations
- All materials and substances in this product have been pre-registered or are exempt from REACH Registration
- Colour: Slightly Cloudy
- Clarity: Clear
- Odor: Solvent
- Specific Gravity @ 24°C: 1.5
- Content/Concentration: 2.0 wt%
- Viscosity @ 24°C:
- Shelf Life At Room Temperature: 4 Years
- Dielectric strength (kV/mil): 1.745
- Dielectric Constant (1 GHz): 3.49
- Surface Resistivity: 1.6 x 1016 Ω-cm
- Volume Resistivity 2.9 x 1016 Ω-cm
- Permittivity: 2.25 @ 1GHz
- Dissipation Factor: 0.0285 @ 1GHz
- Dielectric Breakdown Voltage: 85 kV / mm
- Temperature Range: -48°C to 139°C
- Solids Content (w/w%): 2%
- Coverage @ 25um: 14m2 Per litre (bulk)
- Surface Energy: 12 dyne/cm
- Adhesion: Excellent
- Thermal Cycling (Mil-I-46058C) Passes
- Coefficient of Thermal Expansion: 160 ppm / °C
- Flammability, per UL 94 V-0 suitable
- Contact Angle (water): 117°
- Dry to Touch: 10-20s
- Tack Free time: 30-45 minutes
- Recommended Dry time: 12 hours
In general PCBs should be thoroughly cleaned before coating. This may be required to ensure that satisfactory adhesion to the substrate is possible. Also all flux residues may need to be removed as they may become corrosive if left on the PCB.
Fluorinated Solvent (FluoroShield TH) should be used to keep the FluoroSHIELD F100 coating at a suitable viscosity for dipping.
FluoroShield TH is added periodically as the solvent evaporates. The viscosity should be checked using a viscosity meter or “flow cup” on a regular basis.
The board assemblies should be immersed in the FluoroShield F100 dipping tank in the vertical position, or at an angle as close to the vertical as possible. The board or boards should then be withdrawn. After withdrawing, the boards should be left to drain over the tank until the majority of residual coating has left the surface.
FluoroSHIELD F100 does not need to be thinned before spraying. If the bulk coating material has been agitated, allow to rest until air bubbles have dispersed.
FluoroSHIELD F100 is suitable both for use in manual spray guns and selective spray equipment.
A good technique is to hold the gun at 45 degrees angle and a distance of approximately 20-25cm while spraying. Spray a thin and continuous film onto the circuit with an even motion. Turn the circuit 90 degrees and repeat the process. Rotate a full 360 degrees to cover all sides of the circuit.
This process helps to ensure penetration of the coating beneath the components and in confined spaces.
Avoid shaking the can before use. This may add excessive bubbles and give a poorer finish. A good technique is to hold the aerosol can at 45 degrees angle and a distance of approximately 20-25cm while spraying. Spray a thin and continuous film onto the circuit with an even motion. Turn the circuit 90 degrees and repeat the process. Rotate a full 360 degrees to cover all sides of the circuit.
The coating should be kept at ambient temperature. Gently apply the coating with a good quality brush so as not to leave brush marks and so that the components and wiring are not disturbed.
Drying Times & Curing Conditions
FluoroSHIELD F100 will be touch dry in 10-20 seconds at room temperature and does not require a thermal cure. The full properties of 101 will be obtained after 12 hours at room temperature.
Coating Removal & Repair
FluoroSHIELD F100 can be easily removed using FluoroSHIELD TH, which can be locally or completed stripped depending on requirements. Application can be achieved using a cotton bud, brush or complete immersion in a bath of the stripper. Compatibility of the FluoroSHIELD TH with the PCB should be assessed at all times.
The FluoroSHIELD F100 coating has a UV trace within the coating itself, which fluoresces under UV light. This aids inspection of the material after drying and during coating application. Suitable lighting includes UVA.